Tuesday 11 September 2007

Anxiety Feelings: They Can Linger For Days

The thought of a heart attack had never entered my mind at the age of 51. There was no history of heart disease in my family and I was not having one of those clutch your chest,fall over,Hollywood type attacks so I did not realize what was happening to me. I did not listen to that inner voice that was telling me something was wrong until an hour had passed.

Finally I decided to call 911 and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. It took an hour to get to the hospital because I was back deep in the woods at a cabin when I felt the attack begin.

Because of the length of time it took to start treatment ,I suffered damage to the hearts left ventricle(main pumping chamber of the heart)

It was explained to me later at Cardiac Rehab that heart attacks rarely happen like in the movies,especially to women. It can be as simple as having pain in your arm or in your jaw that is the first sign of trouble.

My message is to say that there are no times when anyone should feel embarrassed about getting to a hospital when they do not feel in their normal mental or physical self.
Believe that you know your own body and mind better than anyone else does on any given day or in any given situation.

Keep a journal of what is going on when you feel stress ,panic,anxiety or depression.Writing down this information can help you later when you reread it. The triggers to your situation may be found in your descriptions and feelings.

Taking action by recording your attacks,whatever they may be does help because when you take action you will get results. We all think we will remember the details of everything that happens during these attacks because we suffer so much from the affects, that it stays with us for days .

I come back to the journalling action because I feel a written record can be more useful as evidence and lead to knowledge about our situations.

Anxiety can be hidden in many issues and triggered at times and in places we are not aware of at the time of the attacks. Feeling the affects of these attacks can go on for days and writing your experiences down on paper or in computer journals is your record to look back on in the future in order to help yourself get a better understanding of the self.

It is amazing to read back in time and see all the similarities that crop up.Knowledge is power so be informed about yourself and take time to help yourself each time attacks occur.

You may notice that in writing and reading personal journals,over time you are actually not carrying the after affects of these attacks with you for days because you got rid of the emotion associated with the attacks through your writing.

It does not have to be perfect spelling and grammar,just write everything down naturally as it comes into your mind.
I know this will help as it has helped me. Try it, all you have to lose are those lingering feelings that keep you in the anxiety moment .

No comments: